What is the easiest Bible to read and understand? On this page, we’ll explore various versions of the Bible. We’ll highlight three versions specifically crafted for those who find reading challenging. We aim to assist you in selecting a Bible that is beginner-friendly.
Read through the entire page or click on one of the links to jump to your preferred section.
Are all Bibles the same?
There’s only one Bible, but it comes in many versions or translations, using different words. Click here to understand why there are different versions of the Bible.
English Bibles have numerous versions suitable for different readers. Some use complex language, while others use simpler terms. If you struggle with reading or have learning challenges, you’ll need a Bible that is easy to read and understand.
What is the easiest Bible to read?
We’ll look at three Bible versions tailored for those who find reading difficult. They use concise words and sentences, making them easier to read and comprehend. These are some of the most accessible and understandable Bible versions:
- New International Reader’s Version (NIrV)
- Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
- Easy English Bible (EASY)
New International Reader’s Version (NIrV)
NIrV is based on the popular NIV Bible version, using simpler words than NIV and explaining difficult words. It’s a great introductory Bible for adults who find reading challenging. You can read NIrV online at biblegateway.com and the YouVersion Bible app, or purchase a physical copy.
Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
ERV is designed for those who find reading challenging, using simple words and short sentences. It’s one of the easiest Bibles to read and understand. Read ERV online at biblegateway.com and the YouVersion Bible app, or purchase a physical copy.
Easy English Bible (EASY)
The EasyEnglish Bible is written for those with limited English proficiency, using commonly known simple words. It’s highly readable, especially for those with learning challenges. Read it online at www.easyenglish.bible and the YouVersion Bible app, or purchase specific sections in a book.
Comparing 3 Easy-to-Read Bible Versions
Let’s examine a passage from 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 in these three Bible versions, known for their readability about love. Which version do you prefer?
Most recommended Easy-to-Read Bibles to buy
Turning the Bible into a book is a great idea. Here are some options for you to explore. The Amazon links on this page are affiliate links, meaning I earn a commission if you buy one of these books on Amazon.
- NIrV Giant Print Bible NIrV Giant Print Bible uses large letters, with each verse starting on a new line for easy navigation. It covers the entire Bible.
- NIrV Adventure Bible NIrV Adventure Bible is designed for children, featuring vibrant colors, numerous pictures, and additional information, facts, and maps to enhance understanding. It’s also a great introductory Bible for adults.
- NIrV Accessible New Testament (UK only) NIrV Accessible New Testament is specifically created for those with learning challenges, using large letters and including images. It covers only the New Testament.
- ERV Bible ERV Bible is written in simple language, making it understandable for everyone. It covers the entire Bible.
- ERV Youth Bible ERV Youth Bible is tailored for teenagers, covering the entire Bible with additional information on challenging sections. It includes colorful pages discussing prayer, relationships, and following Jesus, aiding in a better understanding of Christianity.
- EasyEnglish Gospels (UK only) You can purchase the EasyEnglish version of the four Gospels (books in the Bible recounting Jesus’s life). It’s a simple way for beginners to start reading the Bible, with a list explaining the meanings of some difficult words.
Is the Bible always easy to understand?
I often imagine myself, when I am old, wearing cheap wholesale reading glasses, reading the Bible alone on the sofa quietly.
Even the simplest Bible versions can be challenging to understand at times. It’s a substantial book! Click here to find ways to navigate the Bible. It was written a long time ago, and life today is very different from then. It teaches us new things, require time to fully grasp.
If you find the Bible challenging to understand, engage in conversations with long-time Christian believers. They can help explain confusing parts. There are also books and websites dedicated to helping you better understand the Bible. If reading is difficult, consider listening to it!